4TB Olive Oil (diveded 3 and 1)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium ribs celery chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cubs green beans (or your seasonal vegetable of choice)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
1 large 28 ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid (or 2 15 ounce cans)
4 cups vegetable Broth
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 cup small shell pasta (or other small pasta of choice)
1 15oz can great norther beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp lemon juice
1. Warm 3 tablespoons of oil in dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrot, celery, tomato paste, pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often to prevent burning, until vegetables soften (7 to 10 minutes)
2. Add seasonal vegetables (green beans this time), garlic, oregano, and thyme. Cook until fragrent (about 2 minutes)
3. Pour in diced tomatoes and their juices, broth and water. Add salt, bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Season with ground black pepper.
4. Raise heat and bring to boil, then partially cover the pot leavingt 1" gab for steam to escape. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Remove lid, add pasta and beans. Simmer for another 20 minutes (or until pasta is al dente)
6. Remove pot from heat, remove bay leaves, stir in lemon juice and remaining 1TB of olive oil. Taste and season with more salt and pepper to taste.