For the Butter Toffee Sauce:
1 Tbsp salted butter
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
For the Butter Brickle Ice Cream:
2 cups half and half
3 Tbsp butter
1 cup light brown sugar
4 Tbsp toffee sauce
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Heath toffee bits
Dash of salt
To Make the Butter Toffee Sauce:
1. Put the butter, brown sugar, cream and salt in a medium saucepan and stir until the butter melts.
2. Simmer over medium low heat without stirring for three minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Allow to cool while you make the ice cream base.
To Make the Ice Cream:
1. Warm the butter, brown sugar and half and half over medium until the butter and sugar have melted. Add the sauce and vanilla, still until thoroughly mixed and chill for a minimum of 4 hours; preferably overnight.
2. Add the heavy cream (I added this in at the end of step 1, just before going into the fridge) and process the mixture in an ice cream machine.
3. Add the toffee bits at the end of processing just to mix them in.
4. Ripen in a container for a minimum of four hours before serving.