Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Apr 12th, 2014 10:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
Wuffy wanted to do something with chicken and spinach, and this is what came out. Gets an extra 'kick' from bacon, richness from a bit of cream cheese, and some "exotic" cheesiness from the Feta. A bit of white wine and lemon juice cut through the richness and add some freshness. And, of course, lots of spinach with an added layer of onion to round off the flavors.

Vargr served this over some exotic Chive and Lemon Angel Hair pasta, but feel free to experiment with your favorite base.

Use of bottled Alfredo sauce and pre-mixed Greek spice (from Penzey's) makes preparation simple and quick. A nice, and very tasty dish!

Chicken with Spinach & Bacon in Alfredo Sauce over pasta

Ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts, sliced into very thin strips
1 Bag (1 lb) frozen chopped spinach
½ Jar (about 1 C) Creamy Alfredo sauce
1 Lg onion, diced
3 strips thick bacon, diced
½ container Schwan's cream cheese (~3-4 oz)
¼ C milk
½ C chicken broth
1 Container Feta cheese crumbles (~6-8 oz)
Penzeys Greek seasoning (~3 tsp)
2 Tbs (or more) Lemon Juice
1/3 C dry white wine
1 tsp Omnivore salt

1 Lb Angle Hair pasta (Chive lemon this time)
Salt
Granulated garlic

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to boil, seasoning with salt and granulated garlic (1 Tbs each).

In a large skilled over high heat, fry the diced bacon until it just starts to crisp. Don't fry too crispy, or it will be hard nuggets in the finished dish.

Add the diced onion, season with a bit of Omnivore salt and pepper, and fry until translucent.

Add the chicken strips, season well with the Greek seasoning, and fry until the last of the pink disappears.

Add the cream cheese and stir about until it starts to melt. Add the rest of the ingredients except the lemon juice, spinach, and feta cheese crumbles. (Note: Wuff used the milk and chicken broth to 'rinse out' the Alfredo jar, to get all the thick sauce out quickly. Of course, this won't work if you are starting with a full jar.)

Reduce heat to medium high and stir together. Stir occasionally until sauce is at a gentle boil and all cream cheese is completely mixed in with no lumps.

This is about the time to add the Angel Hair pasta to the boiling water. Angle hair cooks relatively quickly. Don't let it over-cook. When al-dente, drain. Do not rinse.

Add the frozen spinach. Mix together. Stir occasionally, and let sauce come back to a simmer.

Add the feta cheese and the lemon juice. Stir in.

Reduce heat to low. Mix some of the liquid sauce into the pasta to keep it from sticking/clumping.

Serve sauce over pasta. Add a bit of Parmesan if desired.

Optional:
Consider adding sliced black olive and capers. Sliced mushrooms would be nice too.

Last edited on Sat Apr 12th, 2014 10:36 pm by Vargr

Posted: Mon Apr 14th, 2014 01:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
*sigh* That sounds so good.. but ShadowCat-X and I are on a low carb diet right now and that meal would blow right past it. But it sounds so GOOD!
*giggle* Have you had to re-order your Omnivore Salt yet? I'm getting ready to on my next paycheck. We have been going through it fairly quickly. Also, my new Ghost Pepper Salt and Habanero Salt have arrived from the hot sauce place, as well as three new bottles of hot sauce!

Boojum

Posted: Tue Apr 15th, 2014 12:20 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
It really did taste fantastic! But you're right, not on the "low carb" approved list. Especially with the pasta added.

I've just about finished the first pouch of the Omnivore salt. Put the last of it in my bamboo salt cellar. But I backed their "3-pack" option, so still have one unopened pouch to go.

Strongly tempted to order some of the smoked Habanero salt! It was SO good sampling that out there. We're going thru the hot sauces slower, since I have several other brands we also like here, so the rotation thru those 3 aren't quite as frequent. The "punch drunk" is definitely one of the hottest in my pantry! That's some pretty darn good sauce though.

Something I'm also tempted to try: Ghost Pepper cheese. It's like a "pepper jack", but what a pepper! I know you can't do nachos or grilled cheese on that diet, but I bet a slice of that on a nice burger patty or a non-breaded "Parmesan" type dish would knock your socks off!

Last edited on Tue Apr 15th, 2014 12:22 am by Vargr

Current time is 12:07 am

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Creamy Chicken & Spinach Pasta w/Bacon & Feta

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0753 seconds (18% database + 82% PHP). 27 queries executed.