The Warren Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Boojum & Vargr's incredible smoked honey turkey

Boojum & Vargr's incredible smoked honey turkey
 Moderated by: Vargr, shadowcat-x, boojum
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 21st, 2011 12:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
    Ok!     Here we go.   The turkey is done..  and SO well done!    This one was a fly by the seat of your pants sort of recipe..  meaning that neither Vargr nor I really knew what was going to happen, but we just kept working on it.

Now, to start!    We started with 2 12lb turkeys from Safeway Select.   Organic birds with no brine and the neck/giblets stored inside.

The birds were brined for 12 hours in the following brine (stolen *cough* borrowed and modified by Boojum from a honey brine for chicken)

1 gallon water
1lb (16oz) honey
1lb (160z) salt
6 Bay Leaves
10 cloves garlic
1TB Sage
8oz Olive Oil

Put all in bag, put turkey in bag, leave in fridge 12 hours.

Remove Turkey from brine (discard brine).

Insert into cavity of turkey the following:

1 carrot, cut into 2 inch segments
1/2 medium purple onion, cut into thirds
2 bay leaves

Vargr's Turkey Sprinkle.   Mix the following ingredients in the following ratios and sprinkle onto the birds to dust

1.5 Smoked Spanish Paprika, Sweet (From Spice House)
1 Crushed Rosemary
1 Thyme
1 Marjoram
1 Celery Salt
1 Granulated Garlic
.5 Black Pepper

Put turkeys into Smoker.   We ran the smoker at between 200 & 225 (it wouldn't go hotter because of the cold/wet weather.. which might I add was moderately miserable to stand in)   Smoke with 50/50 Hickory/Cherry wood.

Every hour (or so) check the birds and spritz with Vargr's Spritzer (recipe follows) to prevent drying.

Vargr's Spritzer to keep moist:

4oz honey
1 cup very hot water
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
3TB Soy Sauce

At this point the Turkeys had heated to 135F after 4 hours in the smoker.   We took them out of the smoker and put them into roasting pans.  Vargr put 1/2 cup of his spritzer and 1 cup very hot water into the bottom of each roasting pan.   Covered with tinfoil and then placed in preheated 325F oven.

Leave in oven until Turkey heat reaches 165F deep in the breast meat, it took roughly 2 hours in my oven.

Remove turkey's from oven (but leave covered in foil) and leave on counter to finish cooking.   They will continue to heat up to 170ish.   We left them to rest about 1/2 hour.

Remove Turkey's from roasting pan and carve into slices.   Much yummies for the future.   Take liquid from bottom of roasting pan and place in containter for making turkey gravy.

Last edited on Mon Nov 21st, 2011 12:25 am by boojum

Posted: Mon Nov 21st, 2011 12:41 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
To build on the smoked turkey recipe above, we used the turkey necks and giblets from the two birds in a separate dish. Originally, the intent was to make stock for future "goodies" (gravy, sauces, soups, etc). However, like the "seat of the pants" recipe for the turkey, this idea took a couple turns and ended up as turkey vegitable soup.

Here's what we did:

Start by making a stock - -

Ingredients for Stock
Turkey necks and giblets of 2 each 12 pound turkeys
1 heaping teaspoon each of:
Thyme
Marjoram
Celery Salt
Crushed Rosemary
Black Pepper
Sweet smoked Spanish paprika
1TB Olive Oil
1/2 Cup white wine

4 Cups hot water

2 carrots, sliced into 1 inch sections
1/2 large sweet onion, quartered
2 stalks of celery, cut into 1 inch sections

1 TB "Better than boulien" turkey base

In a 4 quart dutch oven, heat to high heat and add the olive oil. Add the turkey necks and giblets. Allow to brown on one side (just 2-3 minutes, watch to make sure they don't burn). Flip everything over and let it do the same on the other side.

The idea here is to get some "color" on the turkey, not to cook it, to add depth and complexity to the flavor.

Add the white wine, water, veg, and all the spices.

Reduce heat and let come to a gentle boil. Add the Turkey Base. Continue to boil gently for 2 hours.

To turn it into soup:

Strain the stock into a 1.5 Qt sauce pan.

Add:
1 carrot, sliced into 1/4 inch segments
6 pearl onions, peeled and halved
2 stalks celery, sliced into 1/4 inch segments
3 small red-skinned potatos, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes

Simmer together for about 35 minutes, or until vegies are tender but still have some body. Add a heaping handful of rotini noodles and continue to simmer until noodles are done (about another 5-10 minutes). Taste, and season with salt or pepper as desired.

This soup is more "veggie" the "Turkey" flavor, but a very delicious flavor in any event. Should reheat for work or lunch superbly!

VARGR

Posted: Mon Nov 21st, 2011 12:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
To amplify Boojum's post, I was taking little "samples" of the turkey as I was carving things up. The white meat on this was delightful; so tender that after carving the slices, they would fall apart while placing them in storage for the 'fridge.

But the dark meat! OOoo! *drools* I would have paid restaurant prices for a plate of that! Definitely one of the juciest, most flavorful bites of turkey I have tasted!

This one's a real winner!

Posted: Mon Nov 21st, 2011 05:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Melchar
Administrator

Mana: 
          BAG!   .... bag, bag, bag - BAG!! 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  Why did I never think of this before?!?

I have been brining turkeys for years now and NEVER thought to us a bag for the bird -n- brine!  I've been limiting my turkeys to what fits in the pot. 

What a good idea! 

Now to steal the idea and hope Trey doesn't laugh at me too much......

Posted: Mon Nov 21st, 2011 05:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
    Just make sure you get really good bags with a really good seal.   I was cleaning up brine from exploded ziploc brand 2 gallon baggies until 4 Sunday morning.

boojum

Current time is 05:37 am

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Boojum & Vargr's incredible smoked honey turkey

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0838 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 27 queries executed.