Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Dec 30th, 2010 07:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
    So I got my hands on some rendered down turkey stock from the turkey carcass (bones and bits of meat) from my parents table.   I also got away with some of their turkey!   So I decided to make Turkey Soup.   Warning, I just sort of put in everything I liked..  so be warned it might not be a good soup.  I made this in a 5 quart crock pot.

1 cup turkey soup stock (rendered down from turkey carcass)
1tsp Oregano
1/2 lb sweet onions (I got 5 color baby sweet onions from the store)
1/2lb sliced mushrooms
3tsp garlic

1 bay leaf
1tsp Mustard Powder
1tsp salt (don't add if your turkey was brined)
2tsp black pepper
1tsp ancho chili pepper
1tsp red Cayenne powder
12oz of assorted turkey meat
5oz thicksliced yellow carrots.

Put it all in a 5 quart crock pot, cover with water up to within 1/2 inch of the top, and run on high for 5 hours.    Add 12oz of wide egg noodles and run for 1 more hour.

soups done!

Addendum:   Ok..  so I had to fix a few things.   First of all, be aware that this is a VERY spicy turkey soup.   If you don't like spicy, then half the black pepper and don't put in any cayenne.

Next, my Soup Stock didn't have enough turkey juice in it.   I anded up adding 3 tablespoons of Better than Bullion Turkey Base to the crock pot.     This padded out the soup quite nicely.   Enjoy Everyone!

OK!  The soup turned out wonderfully!   It IS spicy, but then I like spicy soups.   Please note, my way of making soup absorbs most of the water out of it (to reconstitute the wide egg noodles)  If you just add hot water to the soup it makes it's own broth.  :)    This way I can store more soup in my bento since I'm not carrying a bunch of water, and I use the hot water dispenser at work to fill it out.

Last edited on Fri Dec 31st, 2010 03:23 pm by boojum

Current time is 04:32 am

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Jeff's turkey Noodle Soup Experiment 1

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0984 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 27 queries executed.