Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Dec 16th, 2010 08:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
Use of “cinnamon red hots” candies give a hint of fairground candied-apple flavor to the apple and pear combination.  And the rum adds a touch of “grown up” complexity to the final result. Mash it up a little for a chunky, 'rustic' version. Or mash it a lot for a somewhat more 'refined' and smooth version. (I prefer the 'chunky' style myself)

Either way, after tasting this, you'll wonder why you ever bought the jar-type of applesauce from your local market!

~~~~~~~~~~

“Candied” apple and pear sauce, enhanced with rum

Ingredients:
   * 4-5 Anjou, Bosc, or Comice pears (slightly underripe), peeled and cut into large pieces
    * 4 apples (use a combination, such as Granny Smith, McIntosh, and Golden Delicious)
    * 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    * 1 cup apple juice (or cider)
    * 1/2 cup sugar (try brown sugar/Splenda mix)
    * 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
    * 1-2 Tbls dark Rum (approx)
    * 3 boxes Cinnamon Red Hots candy (about 2 Tbls)
    * Dash (1/4 tsp?) ground Cinnamon
    * Red food coloring (optional)

Preparation:

1. Core, peel, and cut the pears and apples into large chunks. In a large, heavy pot, toss with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.

2. Combine the pears and apples with the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the fruit is tender but not mushy.

3. Uncover the pot, stir and cook 5 minutes more, until fruit is quite soft and some of the liquid has evaporated and absorbed. Adjust the flavors and remove from heat.

4. If desired, add a couple drops of red food coloring to make it somewhat “candied apple” color.  Mash with potato masher until your favorite “chunkiness factor” is achieved.

5. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 4 days. (can be eaten right away, but the flavors combine even more after resting overnight!)

Note: You may wish to start out with a bit less sugar (perhaps 1/3 C). The amount needed varies per your taste, and with the ripeness and variety of fruits used.  For instance, I used rather ripe Bosc pears, and a mix of Gala and Granny Smith apples, and found 1/2C of sugar made the result too sweet for my taste. So I added another couple tablespoons of lemon juice to balance it out a bit.

I also wanted a very distinct rum note for our office party, so ended up using about 3 1/2 Tablespoons. Don't worry - it all cooks out (unless you toss a little in right at the end - hint hint).

Sides very well with pork and beef. A great accompaniment to winter holiday feasts or summer picnics alike!

This is DEFINITELY unlike the standard "Motts" applesauce, or other store brands. But this wuff thinks it is FAR superior to them!

Last edited on Thu Dec 16th, 2010 08:26 pm by Vargr

Current time is 03:17 am

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Rum enhanced "Candied"-Apple and Pear sauce

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0754 seconds (21% database + 79% PHP). 27 queries executed.