Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 8th, 2009 02:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
   So this is a yummy soup that I learned to make from my Mom.   Yes, you COULD make it all from scratch, but this way is faster and easier.  The soup freezes well and can be eaten any time, but it is particularly good in the winter.  It is a Meal soup, meaning that the soup itself is the main meal.  When combined with a nice sourdough roll for mopping up juices it is wonderfull.

1 Hambone

1/2lb Ham Meat (I'll be using 1/2 lb of smoked pork loin)

1 lg white onion

1/3 celery bunch

3 md Bellpeppers

2 cans pork & beans

2 can butterbeans

2 cans baked beans

1 can black eyed peas.

Drain the Butterbeans and black eyed peas.

Cube the ham into 1/2" cubes.

Put all ingredients in a crock pot big enough to hold them and allow to simmer until done (I let mine simmer for about 6 hours.)

Last edited on Tue Dec 8th, 2009 02:59 pm by boojum

Posted: Thu Dec 10th, 2009 09:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
Yum! The taste of this wuff had while at your place was delightful!

We've had days of sub-freezing weather out in COS. When this wuff gets back from his business trip in LA, Vargr will be making this soup!

Did a rather interesting curried sweet potato (or yams) soup the other day. Rich and thick, somewhat sweet, with a pretty good curry "kick". Still needs a little work, but I might post it up as an initial attemp to work with.

Thanks for posting this!

Posted: Thu Feb 18th, 2010 05:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
When we enjoyed this in your smoker while I was out there, the rub and drippings from the pork loins above it made a FABULOUS addition to the flavors, along with the extra black pepper we added.  Here's a few of wuff's thoughts on how to duplicate that version in your crock pot, without having to smoke a pork loin to re-create it:

For the pork flavor addition, either add a smoked ham hock (or two) to the beans at the start (easiest way to get both the smoke and pork flavors), or; 1) fry up some nice thick smoked bacon diced up and pour the fried bacon and some of the grease into the beans.  2) Put a block of salt pork, scored deeply with a knife on the non-skin side, into the beans at the start (fish it out before serving) and add some liquid smoke flavor of your favorite type (hickory or mesquite) to the liquid.

For the spice rub flavors that washed off the pork loin, re-create your "mistake rub" and add a couple teaspoons to the mix.  Taste and adjust with extra spice mix while it heats in the crock pot until you reach the levels you enjoy.

You already have a good handle on the extra cracked pepper, which added such a lovely warmth.

Finally, you may want to add a couple teaspoons each of apple cider/juice, and cider or white vinegar to equal the run off from the misting spray we used to keep the meat moist in the smoker.  Or, instead of the vinegar, another acid such as lemon or lime juice might be a nice addition to "brighten" the flavor a bit and pair with the pork grease mentioned at the top.

Hope these thoughts keep those wonderful flavors in mind, and help you recreate such a delightful dish "on demand".

VARGR

Current time is 10:41 pm

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Mom's Ham Soup

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0939 seconds (26% database + 74% PHP). 28 queries executed.