Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Nov 22nd, 2009 01:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
shadowcat-x
Administrator

Mana: 
So I think of this one as a cross between baklava and pumpkin pie, as bizarre as that sounds.  The original recipe that I was working from was an old-school balkan recipe that involved homemade phyllo dough and raw pumpkins. I've updated it a bit for the 20th century (or downgraded it for convenience, depending on your point of view)

1/3 of a box of store-bought phyllo dough

1 large can of Libby's pumpkin

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

pumpkin pie spice

A little bit of butter to brush on the top of the pastries

1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (to sprinkle on the pastries after they're cooled)

A box of phyllo dough comes in three shrink wrapped packages in one box. Take out ONE of those three packages and divide THAT into thirds. Follow the directions on the box when dealing with the phyllo you're not using at the time, so it doesn't dry out.

Spread the dough out flat on a sheet of foil or wax paper (it'll help later when you roll it up) and spread 1/3 of the can of pumpkin evenly over the surface. Sprinkle pumpkin pie spice sparingly over the pumpkin, then 1/3 of the cup of brown sugar.  Sprinkle 1/3 of the walnuts over the pumpkin/sugar.

Roll the rectangle of phyllo and pumpkin and place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover with a moist paper towel until it's ready to go in the oven. Repeat the process with the other two sections of Phyllo dough.  Brush with butter and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, then put the sheet in the broiler for five minutes to brown the top to a nice, golden brown.

Allow to cool, and serve with a generous dusting of powdered sugar. Makes 9 servings--more or less.

I'm debating whether to take it a step further in the Baklava direction and let it soak in honey as it cools. Any thoughts from the peant gallery?

"If you could find some way to be
a little bit less afraid of me,
you'd see the voices that control me
from inside my head say I shouldn't kill you yet"
Skullcrusher Mountain--John Coulton

Posted: Sun Nov 22nd, 2009 01:59 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
shadowcat-x
Administrator

Mana: 
So after trying the first batch, Jeff is not so impressed with the recipe. He feels it isn't sweet enough, but I disagree with him. Even though we didn't have powdered sugar to dust over it, I found it to be plenty sweet--though he might like it better with the powdered sugar.  However, he also might like a version that has been soaked in honey. I will try that with one of the remaining rolls and see how he likes that.

Another thing that he mentioned was that he didn't think it had enough pumpkin pie spice. I actually was worried that I used too MUCH of the spice.  It worked out to about a tablespoon per roll, which is excessive when compared to how much you're supposed to use for a pumpkin pie. It's possible that just sprinkling it on the surface isn't enough to thoroughly spread out the flavor, so I might try mixing it through the entire can of pumpkin before I spread the pumpkin--and do the same with the brown sugar, to even out the sugar also.

Ernie, if you make this recipe, please LMK what you think of it. I think there's just enough sugar and spice, but Jeff thinks it tastes like warm squash. We need an impartial judge :-)

"If you could find some way to be
a little bit less afraid of me,
you'd see the voices that control me
from inside my head say I shouldn't kill you yet"
Skullcrusher Mountain--John Coulton

Posted: Wed Nov 25th, 2009 07:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
I may give this a try this weekend. Already have 2 desserts for tomorrow, or I'd be trying it then.

I rather like the basic "squash taste" of acorn, butternut, and pumpkin, but I also enjoy it sweetened as well.  Perhaps when I try it, I'll make one of the rolls as described as the "control" group, add some extra spices to one, and perhaps some extra sweetness (maple syrup, perhaps?) to the last and see how they compare.

It should also be mentioned that I rather like the Japanese rolls with the slightly sweetened bean paste in them too. Those aren't 'super sweet' either, but I still enjoy them greatly. This might affect my analysis of the pumpkins. *grins*

Current time is 04:46 pm

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Pumpkin Phyllo Rolls

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0839 seconds (20% database + 80% PHP). 26 queries executed.