The Warren Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Warm Spinach Salad w/fat free honey mustard dressing

Warm Spinach Salad w/fat free honey mustard dressing
 Moderated by: Vargr, shadowcat-x, boojum
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 23rd, 2008 08:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
shadowcat-x
Administrator

Mana: 
Okay, first of all a warning:  All measurements are approximate.  I don't measure much when I'm experimenting in the kitchen.  That said, on with the recipe:

This is inspired by a recipe for warm spinach salad from Dave and Buster's.  I strongly suspect that it's NOT fat free honey mustard that they use, and they also put in stuff like pine nuts, bacon, cheese, and other yummy (but oh-so-fatty) stuff.

Here's the tools you'll need:

5 quart plastic bowl with a lid

Skillet w/spatula

Chopping board/knife

small microwave safe bowl

And here are the ingredients:

3 tbsp. Yellow mustard or dijon mustard. I actually like to use 2 of yellow and 1 of dijon, when I have a choice. (0 cal.--if using yellow mustard only)

2 tbsp. fat free mayo--low fat or full fat can be used, but it's kinda missing the point (30cal.)

1 tbsp honey (60 cal.)

1 3oz. boneless skinless chicken breast--(150 cal.)

5-6 white mushrooms (10 cal.)

A little bit of onion (I use two really thin slices off a whole onion)(5 cal.)

A couple handfuls of baby spinach (25 cal.)

Directions:

Slice the chicken breast and start grilling it in a pan.  While that's cooking, you can be chopping the mushrooms, slicing some onion and mixing up the fat free honey mustard dressing. To make the honey mustard dressing, mix the mustard and fat free mayo together in the small microwaveable bowl until well blended.  Then add the honey. 

When the chicken is done, toss the onions and mushrooms in the skillet and stir them around with the chicken for about a minute.  Just long enough to get the onions and mushroom a little soft around the edges.  Put the spinach in the large bowl, and dump the mix of chicken, onions, and mushrooms in.  Heat the bowl of honey mustard dressing in the microwave for 30 seconds, and pour as much as you feel comfortable with (you might not need it all--use your common sense) over the spinach/chicken/onion/mushroom mix.  Put the lid on the bowl and shake it up real good.  Et Voila!  The hot dressing makes the spinach wilt nicely, and because the dressing is fat free, you don't have to feel guilty about how much you use.

The spinach is an excellent source of fiber, vitamins and minerals, and will fill up your stomach with bulk.  The protein from the chicken will help it stick with you, and the only fat in the dish is the negligible amount from the chicken itself.  I'm going to keep experimenting with this dish, though.  I think it needs something crunchy, so I might try artificial bacon bits or sunflower seeds.  Celery might also provide that nice crunch I'm looking for without adding fat or calories.  A garnish of finely chopped tomato and a teensy bit of grated cheddar might not be out of line, either. 

If anyone tries any variation of this recipe that they like, please LMK.  I love to experiment.

"If you could find some way to be
a little bit less afraid of me,
you'd see the voices that control me
from inside my head say I shouldn't kill you yet"
Skullcrusher Mountain--John Coulton

Current time is 09:25 pm

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Warm Spinach Salad w/fat free honey mustard dressing

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0780 seconds (23% database + 77% PHP). 28 queries executed.