AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Apr 9th, 2007 04:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
The Grill on the Alley

Address: 172 S. Market Street (in the Fairmont Hotel)
               San Jose, Ca.

Phone: (408) 294-2244

ShadowCat-X and I were in the mood to try something different on Sunday.  We ended up driving into Downtown San Jose and looking about for an interesting place to eat.  There, nestled in an alley near the San Jose Museum of Art was a small front called "The Grill on the Alley." 

The menu is posted outside on the wall for those who wish to check on whats available, and whats available is VERY yummy.   First, on the ambiance.   You walk in through the double doors into a bar area with a masculine sports bar type feel.  To the right is a podium with the reservation staff.  (Reservations are recommended, though not required.)

You are then led back through arching passages to the dining rooms.   The floor is a wonderfull old 4" oak planking, the seats done in dark wood panelling.  The lighting for the room is wonderfull with great, overhead hanging lights textured like aged alabaster with the occasional spot tucked away to remove heavy shadows.

Then, the head water brings you the menu and describes what is available..  which as new visitors we appreciated.   First, you should be warned (as he let us know) that the portions here are large!

ShadowCat-X and I split a bowl of Lobster Bisque as an appetizer.  The rich creamy and buttery taste was complemented by the spices in the Bisque.  I think this was the best Bisque I've ever had...

For my meal, I ordered the 28oz Bone In Prime Rib chop (yes, thats a 2 in front of that 8) with Mashed Potatoes and steamed Broccoli.  When our meal arrived I was presented with a 2" thick cut of meat, cooked to medium throughout (just as I'd ordered it,) topped with carmelized onions.  There was a scoop of Garlic Mashed Potatoes and a Broccoli Floret. 

The meat was incredible!  It had a good flavor and could be cut with a butter knife (which ShadowCat-X promptly did when I passed some of it over to her.)  The spices were not overwhelming, sharing the flavor of the beef.  Between the two of us we managed to polish off the entire cut. 

The potatoes were great with a smooth texture that ShadowCat-X really likes and the wonderfull potatoe flavor I adore.

The Broccoli, sadly, was uninspired. It tasted like it wasn't freshly steamed, as if it had been steamed earlier and kept warm.  This *MIGHT* have had something to do with the lateness of the meal since it seemed a long time between appetizer and main course.  ShadowCat-X blamed my meal and I'm not sure she was wrong. 

Now to the damage.  Our meals (I'll leave ShadowCat-X to post about hers) ran to about $95 before the tip.   So it is an expensive resteraunt, far to expensive to eat at often... but I suspect we will be visitting them again some day!  :D

Boojum

Current time is 12:04 am

The Warren > Reviews > Restaurant > The Grill on the Alley

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1284 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.