2 cups diced ham
1/4 pound bacon
1 pound White Northern Beans
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
1 TB minced garlic
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
Splash of rum (for deglazing the pan)
1 tsp mustard powder
2 tsp smoked salt (Hickory smoked by us)
1 tsp ground pepper.
2 tsp thyme
2 bay leafs
1. Soak beans for 8 hours (or overnight) in water.
2. Discard used bean water, Put beans in pot with 4 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, simmer for 1 hour.
3. Put 1tb of butter in a pan and saute carrots, celery, onion, and garlic about 5 minutes.
4. Cook bacon until just curling and brown around the edges, but still soft. I then deglazed the pan with a splash of rum. Everything will go into the pot, including the bacon grease.
5. Drain and reserve cooking liquid from simmered beans.
6. Pour everything except reserve liquid into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish (I used my crock pot insert), add enough bean water to cover beans by 1/4 inch, cover and bake in 375F oven for 10 minutes.
7. Reduce heat to 200F and cook for another 6 hours, stirring every 3 hours.
Once beans are tender, remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before eating.
So I plan to put the beans into containers that will let me freeze them, remove from the containers, and then vacuum pack the frozen "pucks" of soup and put in deep freeze for whenever I want them.
Last edited on Sat Apr 13th, 2019 06:58 pm by boojum