The Warren Home 
The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Cooking a 3.5" thick, 4 pound steak

Moderated by: Vargr, shadowcat-x, boojum  
AuthorPost
boojum
boojum

Mana: 

Boojum can't help but grin a happy grin. "My lunch today was a 3.5" thick, 4 pound New York (Shell) steak. A Shell Steak is a bone in New York steak. I had these custom cut at my Lucky's store when they were having a HUGE sale on New York Steaks. They even gave me the MAX Pack price!" The rabbits nose wiggles.. "However, cooking a really thick steak has some challenges, so I have posted how I get the job done."

Ingredients:
1 3" thick cut of meat (Bone in New York steak in my case, but will also work well with pork.)

2 teaspoons of olive Oil.
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Directions:

1. Rub oil on both sides of the steak, liberally apply salt and pepper. I then let the steak sit about 5 minutes to let the salt get absorbed.

2. Preheat oven to 400F, and start heating an oven safe skillet (Cast Iron for me) to smoking hot (where, if your pan has oil, you can see just a bit of smoke coming off of it)

3. Sear top and bottom of the steak in the skillet for 2 minutes per side.

4. Move skillet into oven to finish cooking. Mine took about 40 minutes in the oven to finish. I used a meat thermometer (Meater Block) to accurately get the internal temp. I cooked to 145F.

5. Remove meat and allow to rest for a few minutes before cutting in and enjoying!

gilrandir
Gilrandir

Mana: 
Almost more of a roast than a steak.

boojum
boojum

Mana: 
"That has been said before..." Boojum agrees. "And honestly it's a bit bigger than I'm comfortable with. It basically is a meal all by itself. Next time I'll probably get them only an inch and a half thick."

gilrandir
Gilrandir

Mana: 
Or get them that size, if you like the result, and assume that each steak serves two.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0862 seconds (19% database + 81% PHP). 26 queries executed.