Ok, so today I bought some 2" thick, bone in, with fat around the edge, New York Steaks from Lucky's. they custom cut it for me for no charge. they also gave me the Max Pack price, so it cost $5.99/pound.
Each steak comes to about 1pound 10oz according to my scale.
For the first steak I plan to cook it the same way I cook my thick cut pork chop... with a slight difference because of the thickness. They recommend I sear one side for 2 minutes, flip the steak, and put it immediately into the oven at 400 degrees.
So the plan is this:
1. Rub steak with a bit of Olive Oil.
2. Salt and pepper both sides with Omnivore Salt and Black Pepper.
3. Let sit for 15 minutes to let the salt do it's work.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Sear one side of steak in smoking hot cast iron skillet (I clocked my skillet at 425F)
6. Flip steak in Skillet and put into oven. Cook to medium (using my Meater Temperature Probe)
7. Remove steak from heat and let sit for five minutes.
8. Eat Steak.
On another steak I'm going to try a seasoning I found on the internet:
1.5 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper