Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 23rd, 2013 06:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
    Hi Everyone!   I'm going to be attending the Golden State Star Party.   It will be 4 nights of camping up near Lassen park, in the middle of noplace.     I'm trying to come up with some single pot meals that do not require refrigeration that I can make in camp.     Water will not be a problem, so I can rehydrate anything that's dried.    I'm also considering buying a solar crock pot (it's a black pot inside a glass container that can heat water to boiling in an hour and a half.  3qt capacity.)

So one possibility would be to bring dried beans and smoked meat.   rinse and soak the beans over night, put in container in the morning with smoked meat, spices, and water, and let cook all day.

At any rate, anyone have some suggestions for some good meals that I can prepare?   Let me know!  :D   I will probably try them out before the camping trip.

Boojum

Posted: Tue Apr 23rd, 2013 09:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
Sounds like fun, Booj!

Your "crock pot beans" on this forum would be excellent for that. The flavor would be a bit different if heated in a camp, instead of hours in a crock. But most of the material comes out of a can, so no refrigeration necessary.

I'd also recommend a few "foil pack" items for the first night. When frozen prior to leaving home, they'll "keep" for several hours (more if you wrap them in newspaper). I used to love the flavor of those during my early Boy Scout days. I can send you recipes for them. But here's a whole batch of them from an ancient LJ post I made: http://vrghr.livejournal.com/24617.html These are great for campfires, but work on a campstove too.

Remember that eggs will "keep" for days at room temperature. Fritatas, veggie omlettes, etc., are all "no refrig" possibilities. A can of spam will replace ham or bacon with those, and a can of "sliced new potatoe", chopped up, will give you "no refrig hash browns", or leave them whole, add some spices and dried onions, and make 'country potatoes".

Cheese, onion, sausage, and bread make a "plowman's lunch" without refrigerations.

"Instant" oatmeal, water, some sugar, sweet spices, dried fruits, etc., give a nice hearty hot breakfast.

Instant rice + hot water is a foundation for all sorts of possibilities. Mix with canned chicken, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms, peas, etc., for "chicken a la king campstyle".

Wuff can find more detailed recipes for most of these, but Vargr's sure you can come up with great ideas on your own from these inspirations.

Current time is 08:06 am

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Single Pot Camp Meal

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0707 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 28 queries executed.