Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 24th, 2013 08:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
Vargr LOVES stuffed porkchops, but they're a bit tricky to do well. They're a bit "technical" to prepare, getting the chops sliced "just so" and stuffed without everything falling out.  Plus, miss the timing and you end up with tough chops, or too underdone where the stuffing touches inside.

So wuffy whipped up this version of a "deconstructed" stuffed pork chop, complete with the cheesy mushroom gravy/sauce ladled over the top. FAR easier to prepare than the original version, and no worries about under/over done chops or under-cooked stuffing.

There's also a "surprise" in the seasonings - a hint of curry powder. Just enough to add complexity in the background flavors and a touch of exotic fragrance. But you can leave it out if you aren't a curry fan (slight though it may be). Don't worry about the Ancho Chili powder making this hot or "southwestern". Ancho Chili is mild, and adds a warm, smokey note with nothing of the "Texas chili" flavors the name conjures up.

Trying a slightly different layout to the recipe this time, to make it even easier to follow. Let wuffy know if that helps or hinders.

Cheesy “Stuffed” Porkchop Casserole
Do you love stuffed porkchops, but don't like all the work for butterflying the pork, filling it with stuffing, and baking? Worried about drying out the chops or leaving the insides against the stuffing too rare? Give this “deconstructed” chop version casserole a try! “Kicked up” with some cheesy goodness, and lots of seasonings in the pork, but easy to fix thanks to instant stuffing mix.

Ingredients
3 lbs Pork Steaks (or “cheap” pork chops)
1 Can (4oz) “Stems and Pieces” mushrooms
1 Can (10.5 oz) Cream of Mushroom soup
1 Can (~10 oz) Campbells Cheddar Cheese soup
1/2 C Chicken Broth
1/3 C Minced Dried Onions
Grated Cheese (cheddar or mixed “Mexican blend” work well)
Salt / Pepper – to taste
Non-stick cooking spray

For “Seasoned” Flour

~3 Tbl Flour
1/4 tsp Ancho Chili powder
1/4 tsp Ground Savory
1/4 tsp Curry powder (mild)
1/2 tsp Crushed Rosemary
1/2 tsp Ground Thyme
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Garlic Garni

For Stuffing
1 Box “Stovetop” Pork flavored stuffing mix
1 Can (4oz) “Stems and Pieces” mushrooms
Mushroom liquid from other can
1 C Chicken Broth
4 T Butter

Make Stuffing: In a medium saucepan; bring Chicken Broth, butter, 1 can mushrooms, and liquid from remaining can to boil. Add contents of pork flavored stuffing pouch. Stir briefly to combine ingredients. Cover, and remove from heat.

Make Seasoned Flour:
In a medium/large bowl, add all flour ingredients and combine with whisk or fork.

Prepare Pork:
Remove fat from pork steaks/chops, dice fat. Slice remaining pork into 3/4” cubes (removing any bones). Place cubed pork into bowl with seasoned flour. Toss or mix by hand until all pork cubes are evenly coated and none of the flour remains in the bottom of the bowl. Set aside to “rest” and flavor to sink in.

Make Cheesy Sauce:
In a microwave-safe medium bowl, combine cheese and mushroom soup, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Heat for ~1 min and 30 seconds. (Heating makes combining easier.) Stir soups and broth together until evenly mixed. If necessary, heat another 30 seconds.

Prepare medium casserole dish by spraying inside with non-stick spray, making sure to get the sides.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. (DON'T put casserole dish into oven at this time!)

Fry pork:

In a very large skillet over med-high heat, fry up diced pork fat until fat renders out and remains are brown and crispy. Pour off all but about 1-2 Tablespoons of fat. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and return to heat. Add flour-coated cubed pork. Fry, stirring occasionally, until pork is browned on all sides and no pink can be seen, but not cooked all the way through (about 8 minutes).

Add 1/2 of the bowl of cheesy sauce, the diced dried onions, and the drained can of mushrooms. Stir together. If it seems too thick (the flour coating will soak up some of the liquid), thin with a bit of chicken broth or water, 2-3 tablespoons at a time. Cook about 2-3 minutes for flavors to combine.

Make Casserole:

Pour the fried pork mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Cover with all but about 3T of the remaining cheesy sauce. Add the prepared pork flavored stuffing on top of the pork and pour the last remaining cheesy sauce on top of the stuffing. With the back of a spoon, spread the cheesy sauce in a thin layer over as much of the stuffing as possible. (Helps keep the stuffing from developing a tough 'crust')

Put lid on casserole dish and place in pre-heated 375 degree oven on middle rack. Bake for about 40 minutes. Carefully remove casserole and remove lid. Cover HOT top of stuffing with a light layer of grated cheese. Return to oven, uncovered, for approx 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and gooey.

Remove from oven and allow to 'rest' for about 10-15 minutes for juices and cheese to “set up” a bit.

Dish out, and enjoy!

Makes approx 8-9 servings, depending on hunger level.

Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2013 05:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
Hi Vargr,

What sized Casserole dish did you use? I'm looking at this and thinking I might try making it with some of the pork shoulder I just smoked.

Boojum

Posted: Fri Mar 29th, 2013 05:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
boojum wrote: Hi Vargr,

What sized Casserole dish did you use? I'm looking at this and thinking I might try making it with some of the pork shoulder I just smoked.

Boojum

I think it was about a 2.5-3Qt dish, but it might have been a bit larger. One that was deeper than wide.

It should be very good with the smoked pork shoulder!  Just adjust the cooking directions a little - for example, no need to fry the diced pork since its already cooked through. Prehaps a quick sear to cook the flour coating onto the pork so you don't get that "raw flour" taste, but still pick up the spices in the flour coating. Or you could just blend the spices without the flour, and sprinkle those over the meat.

And you may want to reduce the oven baking time for the same reason. Just give it enough to heat everything well, and blend in the flavors. No need to further cook the pork. The rest is pretty much "ready to go" at the time you add it to the casserole: Stuffing is ready from the stove top, and cheesy soup sauce just needs warming to blend with the rest.

It ought to be very tasty!

PS: With the smoked pork, this would also work quite well in a slow cooker! Just layer the pork, cheesy sauce, and stuffing in that order and heat until everything is at the temperature you'd like to serve it (probably ~2 hours on high, or 3-4 on low)

Good eating!!

Last edited on Fri Mar 29th, 2013 05:05 pm by Vargr

Posted: Sun Mar 31st, 2013 01:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
    Ok!   Casserole is cooked, meal is done..  and a very tasty meal it was.   I did end up making some changes to the recipe that Vargr gave.

1.   I used Chipolte Chili powder instead of Ancho Chili Powder.

2.  I used Smoked pork that was done with a 5 pepper dry rub (which has just a hint of heat to it.)

3.   In the frying of the pork I did not add any chicken broth at all.  

4.  I used a heaping teaspoon of Bacon Fat in the frying pan since my smoked pork didn't have much in the way of fat.

5.   Rather than dredge the cubed pork in the flour/spice mixture I stuck it all in a ziplock baggie and shook it.   Trust me, this is a better way to coat your pork.

As Vargr suggested, I just browned the outside of the pork in the frying pan to cook off some of the flower flavor.   Then I added the rest of the cheesy sauce and let that simmer for a bit. 

A word of warning, this makes a VERY full 2qt casserole dish.    But it makes it all worth while when you see that bubbling golden surface coming out of the oven.   The spices are strong enough that you can taste them despite the amount of cheese.   Both Lynn and I really liked it and, between the two of us, finished off nearly 1/2 the casserole.   So about a quart fed both of us.   As the primary dish I would say this recipe serves 4.   Because of how the topping turns out your going to want a deeper dish, so this isn't a good idea for a shallow casserole dish unless you make more stuffing.

Boojum

Posted: Sun Mar 31st, 2013 07:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
So glad it worked out well for you!

Must have been a 2.5 qt I used, or even a 3, because it was about 1-1.5 inches down from the top in this one.

This was "modeled" after a "Cordon Bleu Chicken" version, that used a somewhat different spice mix, and added some good "country ham" or proscuito to diced chicken, instead of using diced pork. That version was also made entirely in the slow cooker, instead of speeding things up with a casserole.

Also, it just used cream of mushroom soup only, and then layered in Swiss and creamy Havarti cheeses instead of mixing the cheddar cheese soup. It was Spectacular!

Roomie and I particularly like the ease of prep (compared to stuffing pork chops "for real") and for the chicken version in the slow cooker. And the fact it has such wonderful, strong flavors.

I bet you found it re-heated very nicely too! Great for a "take to work" lunch, or a supper again later in the week!

Posted: Sun Mar 31st, 2013 08:31 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
*giggle* I don't think it is going to last until work.. I think we are going to finish it off tonight.
Boojum

Posted: Wed May 1st, 2013 11:57 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
Ok! Unmitigated disaster time with the cheesy stuffed pork casserole.. and an important lesson learned.

I only had 1 pound of smoked pork left, so I ran down to the grocery store and picked up a small smoked ham to fill out the rest of the 3 pounds of meat needed... and OH GOSH did it come out salty. As inedible! So if your making this recipe, for goodness sakes, don't use ham!

Boojum

Posted: Tue May 7th, 2013 09:13 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
boojum wrote: Ok! Unmitigated disaster time with the cheesy stuffed pork casserole.. and an important lesson learned.

I only had 1 pound of smoked pork left, so I ran down to the grocery store and picked up a small smoked ham to fill out the rest of the 3 pounds of meat needed... and OH GOSH did it come out salty. As inedible! So if your making this recipe, for goodness sakes, don't use ham!

Boojum

Wow, important lesson learned. I had no idea the ham would have made that much difference in the salt.

Will certainly remember this!  Too bad it ended up inedible!

Current time is 08:28 pm

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > Cheesy 'Stuffed' Pork Chop Casserole

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1461 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 31 queries executed.