Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2012 04:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
shadowcat-x
Administrator

Mana: 
On our cross country trip, we're leaning heavily on the Food Network's Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives program (or D3) to point us to hole-in-the-wall restaurants in each city that we stop in for meals.

In Kansas City, MO, this ended up being Swagger. (click on link to see the actual clip from the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ab9AZ-7Nxo)

Swagger is every bit the hole in the wall. It's a bar that happens to specialize in unique burgers. The place is on the end of a little strip mall, next to a furniture store in the industrial section of south KC.  When you go in, it's obvious that it's primarily a bar, and not ashamed of it.  There are only two booths, and the rest of the seating is bar stools around bar tables.  There are no frou frou potted plants and plush carpeting--this place is all about loud music, low lighting and liquor.  There's no hostess--we seated ourselves--and while the service was good, it was definitly no-frills.  When we came in, they were just finishing up a bar-wide trivia game on the loudspeaker, although the joint was largely empty--although at 10pm on a Tuesday, that's not exactly unexpected.

In the episode above, they featured (among others) a deep fried tempura burger covered in wasabi cole slaw, and dressed with sriracha hot sauce AND chinese hot mustard. They also featured the "Dead Texan" burger, which is what I had tonight.  The Dead Texan is 1/3 pound of ground beef, seasoned and layered between TWO GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES.  They literally make two grilled cheese sandwiches (one with american cheese and slices of raw jalapeno pepper, and one with american cheese and bacon), cook them up in a pannini grill, then put the burger, a fried egg, peppercorn mayo, tomato and onion between the two grilled cheese sandwiches.

The sandwich nominally comes with a side, which can be cajun fries, regular fries, wasabi cole slaw and other options--but knowing how big this monster would be, I chose to have no sides.  No sense in wasting food, I figured.

The burger was amazing.  The thing I liked best about it was the combination of flavors, from the fried egg and peppercorn mayo to the bacon and jalapeno--and above all, the glorious CHEESE.  I was worried, being that it's basically two grilled cheese sandwiches PLUS a hamburger, that it would be too big to eat.  Fortunately, when they grill the sandwiches, they do a really good job of compressing them into something that you can actually get your mouth around.  I'll admit, I had to cut it into four pieces and eat each piece individually, but I didn't have to disassemble it into component parts, like I thought I might have to.  That said, the entire burger was still about 8 inches tall, and at only 14$, I definitely felt I'd gotten my money's worth. 

All told, Jeff and I got out of there with two full plates and one drink, for less than 30$ before the tip--and we both came away full and happy.  I would highly recommend Swagger as an eating place for the adventurous foodie.  Just be warned that you'll feel like you stumbled onto the set of Barfly--but the food will make you not care.

"If you could find some way to be
a little bit less afraid of me,
you'd see the voices that control me
from inside my head say I shouldn't kill you yet"
Skullcrusher Mountain--John Coulton

Posted: Wed Aug 29th, 2012 11:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Melchar
Administrator

Mana: 
          Guy Fieri FTW!  And the Dead Texan description is making me drool!

Posted: Thu Aug 30th, 2012 12:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
Now I had the Trucker sandwich. It was pulled pork and wasabi cole slaw on a hamburger bun. An interesting combination. Mine came with a side of fries which was just ok, as they had been under a heatpamp a bit long. The sandwich was delicious and more than made up for the fries.

Current time is 12:06 am

The Warren > Reviews > Restaurant > Kansas City: Swagger

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1383 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 27 queries executed.