Posted: Fri Aug 3rd, 2012 08:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
Henry's Hi Life BBQ

http://www.henryshilife.com/

When you enter the small bar you are met by either the owner or his son.   They will take your order and seat you as a table comes available.    ShadowCat-X and I both got the mixed grill, though she got the regular ribs while I got the babyback.

Dinner started with "Bowl of salad" which was fairly standard fare, and a large bastket of buttered and toasted french bread that wasn't standard at all, but was VERY yummy.    Then they brought out the main dish!   I had 1/2 of a BBQ chicken and a half rack of babyback ribs.   It also came with a baked potato with some wonderful butter!    Both ShadowCat-X and I were defeated by the amount of food, and we will be having BBQ again tonight.

The babyback ribs were fall of the bone tender and coated with a mild/sweet sauce that was very tasty.    The Chicken had a bit of a rub, but not enough to overwhelm the wonderful taste.  

We are both thinking of going back, and thinking about taking Vargr with us when he's out visitting!   They have all sorts of things on their menu!

Boojum

Posted: Sun Aug 5th, 2012 03:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
Looks like a really neat place! Love the old building its in. From the menu, prices are a little high (maybe not for CA) but probably reasonable if the portions are that large.

Looking forward to trying it out while out there. And since they extended my trip, more likely that we'll get the chance!

Posted: Sat Aug 11th, 2012 03:18 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Melchar
Administrator

Mana: 
       Went there tonight with chums from the Warren.  It was smoky and the air was delicious.  The root beer is to die for - as is the toasted/buttered bread.  I ordered the BBQ chicken/ribs dinner [upgraded to baby back ribs].

I don't like chicken.  I ordered this combo because Shadowcat-x had praised it - and it was perfect.  The chicken skin was perfectly crispy.  The dry rub was wonderful, the chicken moist.  I -liked- this chicken.  ^_^  The baby back ribs had a delicious glaze, were tender and also very good.  I enjoyed dinner - and had to pack more than half of it away, to take home.

Posted: Sun Aug 12th, 2012 12:22 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 

This wuffy was one of those "chums" visiting with Melchar. I opted for 12oz Prime Rib (medium rare) with a glass of Root beer.

The prime rib was 'fork tender', and so juicy that the au jus accompaniment was hardly necessary. The bread was crispy, slathered with chive/garlic/onion butter, and absolutely delicious. The same butter was piled on the jacketed potato. All told, this meal was fantastic! And very well worth the price.

As you enter the BBQ, the smells of fresh wood smoke and cooking meat tell you exactly what you're in for. This is certainly a “meat and potatoes” sort of place. The menu, painted on the wall of the entry bar area, features multiple selections of beef, with pork chops, pork ribs, and chicken for variety. Salads are simple bowls of variety veggies with a modest choice of dressings. The focus is on the meat, cooked over an open wood-fired grill at the rear of the dining area.

Drinks feature a local CA brewery (Devil's Canyon), and they offer a hand-crafted root beer from the same establishment. The root beer is rich, sweet, and barely carbonated with none of the 'bite' or acid after-taste of some varieties. It is sold by the glass, and you pay for refills (like beer). It is absolutely worth the $3 per serving!

Décor is “tired ancient”. DnD players will have fun pretending they're in a old, slightly dilapidated 'way station' someplace out of the back trails away from civilization. Old, dark wood abounds. The age definitely gives the place character!

Parking can be pretty hard to find. The lot only holds a couple dozen cars, at most. Bring along LOTS of change to feed the meters, as the lot will fill quickly and the meters are rather expensive (the Shark Tank is nearby, and I expect overflow parking easily moves out this far). Meters are only good for a max of 2 hours, and “free time” doesn't start until 10PM. Luckily, a “full meter” should easily accommodate a meal.

They don't have a whole lot of tables, so please don't plan on loitering long over your meal. There's likely to be a backlog of clients hoping to take your seat to enjoy this delicious repast.

Definitely a place to give a try! Especially if you're a basic "meat and taters" sort, or have a craving for same.

Last edited on Sun Aug 12th, 2012 12:23 am by Vargr

Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2012 02:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
kodiak
Kodiak

Mana: 
I went there years ago and remember it with fondness. I don't remember what I ordered, but do recall it as terrific.

Current time is 12:34 am

The Warren > Reviews > Restaurant > Henry's Hi Life BBQ

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1395 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.