Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 6th, 2011 12:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
    Ok..  Vargr is coming out to visit over the 4rth of July weekend, so I was looking at having another BBQ at my house.   I know that Melchar and Gil are busy that weekend (though maybe they will be able to find time to come get some food.)

This thread is for the planning.    I picked up a grilling magazine last night and got interested in some of the recipes.   I was thinking that others who are interested in showing up can also post recipes.  Then we can work out what we are actually going to cook.

Boojum the brown bunny

Posted: Mon Jun 6th, 2011 01:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
Recipe 1:
Sesame-Ginger BBQ Breasts

1/3 cup plum sauce (or sweet & sour sauce)
1/4 cup water
3TB Hoisin Sauce
1 1/2tsp Sesame seeds (toasted if desired)
1tsp grated fresh ginger (or 1/4tsp ground ginger)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2tsp Asian Chili Sauce
6 Boneless Chicken Breast Halves or thighs.
Hot Cooked Rice Noodles
Bias-sliced green onions
sesame seeds (toasted if desired)

Sauce:
    In a small saucepan, combine plum sauce, water, hoisin sauce, 1 1/2tsp sesame seeds, ginger, garlic, and asian chili sauce.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently; reduce heat.   Simmer, covered, for 3 minutes and then remove from heat.

Cooking:
  Grill chicken over medium heat for 12-15 minutes until chicken is no longer pink (170F for breast halves, 180F for thighs), turning once halfway through grilling and brushing once or twice with sauce during last 5 minutes of grilling.

Serving:
    Slice chicken and serve on top of rice noodles.  Sprinkle with green onions and additiona sesame seeds.  Drizzle warm sauce on everything.

Makes 6 Servings
    166cal, 4g fat (1g sat fat), 59mg cholesteral, 216mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 22g protien

<--- Vargr Edit - Aftermath--->

For the 4th BBQ, we made these with wings instead of breasts (about 2.5 pounds separated into wings and 'drummies' with the tips removed).

Delicious! Sweet, with good sesame highlights. Made a double batch to do a single "flat" of wings. They also reheat VERY well!

I added about 1 T of sesame oil to the batch of sauce, to increase the sesame flavor. I also doubled the garlic, crushing the cloves first and then mincing them.

I also dusted the wings lightly with granulated garlic, and 5-spice powder when I laid them out on the grill, and grilled them 'dry' for a couple minutes before basting liberally with the sesame sauce.

This is a delightful variation from my more usual teriyaki type sesame wings. Despite the hosin and plum sauce, it wasn't quite as sweet as the teriyaki, but had very pronounced flavors.

Will be making these again!

Last edited on Sun Jul 3rd, 2011 01:39 am by boojum

Posted: Mon Jun 6th, 2011 01:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
Recipe 2:

Rosemary Steaks

2 bone in ribeye steaks (1 - 1 1/2 inch thick, 1lb each)
1TB Olive Oil
1TB finely snipped fresh rosemary
3/4tsp Salt
1/2tsp freshly ground pepper

Prep:
    Trim fat from steaks.   Brush steaks with oil.  In a small bowl, combine the 1TB rosemary, salt, and pepper.   Sprinkle over both sides of steaks; rub in with your fingers.   Cover and marinate at room temp for 30 minutes.

Cooking:
    On medium heat, cook until desired wellness, turning 1/2 way through cooking process.
(10-13min rare(145F), 12-15min med(160))
Let steak stand for 5 minutes.

If desired, sprinkle steaks with additional fresh rosemary.  

Posted: Mon Jun 6th, 2011 01:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
boojum
boojum

Mana: 
Recipe 3:
Pepper Jelly Pork Steaks

6 12oz boneless pork shoulder steaks cut 3/4inch thick
1/2tsp garlic salt
1 3/4cups red jalapenio pepper jelly
1cup Apple Juce or Cider
1cup Cider Vinegar
1/2cup finely chopped onion (small)

Steak Prep:
    Trim fat from steaks, sprinkle garlic salt evenly over both sides of each steak, rub with your fingers.  Place steaks in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.

Marinade:
    In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of jelly, the apple juice, 1 cup vinegar, and onion.  Pour marinade over steaks.  Seal bag; turn to coat steaks.  Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.  Drain Steaks and discard marinate.

Glaze:
    In a small saucepan, stir together the remaining 3/4cup jelly and 2TB vinegar.   Cook and stir over low heat until Jelly melts.

Cooking:
    Cook for 12-14 minutes over medium heat until steaks are slightly pink in center and juices run clear (160F), turning half way through grilling.  Brushing occasionally with half the glaze during the last 5 minutes of grilling.

Serving:
    Reheat remaining glaze and serve with steaks.

Posted: Mon Jun 6th, 2011 08:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
Here's something that should go well for an explosive holiday; hot as a fire-cracker BBQ chicken wings!

Vargr’s “Oh <BLEEP> dem’s HOT!” Smoked & Grilled BBQ Chicken Wings

Note: These are Bar-B-Q flavor wings, not the traditional “Buffalo” flavor wings. However, thanks to Pappy’s sauce, they’re at least as hot as the “traditional” Buffalo wings (and hotter than most).

Pappy’s sauce has a lot of wonderful BBQ flavor, with a good up-front “kick” from Kentucky Bourbon, and a very fiery finish.  Be prepared with LOTS of “cooling fluid” for these; this BBQ sauce is some of the hottest I've tasted, but the flavor surrounding the heat is delicious!  In addition, the spice coating and smoker start to the prep ought to add a wonderful flavor to the meat beneath the sauce.

It should be possible to flex this recipe in many ways, using a “cooler” sauce for the chili-adverse, or going for a more traditional “Buffalo” flavor with a vinegar/honey/hot-sauce bath, or going completely “off the reservation” with exotic flavors like Asian sesame, teriyaki, lemon pepper, or others.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ingredients:

2 pounds chicken wings, separated at the joints, tips discarded
Hot Hungarian Paprika
Garlic Powder (or granulated garlic)
Salt
Pepper
½ stick butter
~¼ Cup Pappy’s “So Hot You’ll Go Blind” BBQ Sauce
Wood for smoking

Preparation:

Sprinkle both sides of the separated wings with garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.

Start the wings in a smoker stoked with strong, robust smoke wood (mesquite, oak, hickory, etc).  Smoke for approximately 20-30 minutes, until a good smoke color darkens the skin (the wings should NOT be close to done at this point).

Melt the butter in a grill-proof metal bowl or sauce pan.  Add Pappy’s sauce, and whisk together thoroughly. Lightly oil the clean grill grates, and set the pan/bowl of sauce to one side. Fire up the grill, and allow the sauce to begin to simmer.

Transfer the smoked, partially cooked wings to the bowl on the grill.  Allow wings to simmer in the sauce about 3-5 minutes, then, using tongs, transfer the wings to the prepared grill.

Grill for about 6 - 8 minutes, then return wings to sauce and allow to simmer for another 1-2 minutes.

Repeat grilling and sauce simmering cycles until the meat is tender enough to begin pulling from the bones (20-40 minutes, depending on grill temp).

On the last cycle, either remove directly from the grill to a plate for a “dry” wing, or return to the bowl of sauce for “wet and sloppy” wings.

If doing the “dry” wings, serve the remaining sauce on the side to dip with when enjoying the wings.

<---Edit - Aftermath--->

In order to 'spare some tastebuds', I cut the Pappy's hot BBQ sauce with a bit of generic (store brand) "KC style" BBQ sauce. The wings had a wonderful, zesty, sweet BBQ flavor that wasn't at all hot ... at the start.

However, Pappy's sauce has some significant, lingering heat. It's the kind of sauce that burns so good, you want to take another bite to cool it off, which burns more later, engendering another bite ... repeat repeat repeat.

I've definitely had hotter wings, but these certainly aren't 'mild' either. Quite tasty, and a good kick, and worth having again.

Last edited on Sun Jul 3rd, 2011 12:46 am by boojum

Posted: Mon Jun 6th, 2011 08:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Vargr
Vargr

Mana: 
I'm also considering doing a batch of the wings (see above) in "Garlic Parmesan" version.

For this one, I'll use Gilroy's garlic festival seasoning "Garlic Garni" as the starting spice, and use butter and garlic in the bowl instead of Pappy's sauce.

At the end, the last trip out of the garlic butter will go through a dredge of Parmesan cheese, more Garlic Garni, and perhaps some panko bread crumbs.  Then one more short trip to the grill to warm and toast coating onto the wings.

That much garlic will probably still give the wings a little garlic "kick", but nothing like the Pappy's BBQ sauce version.  And they ought to be a nice, robust change from the more "traditional" BBQ flavors.

Current time is 07:12 am

The Warren > Reviews > Recipes > 2011 City of Heroes BBQ and celebration

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0786 seconds (21% database + 79% PHP). 28 queries executed.